New Public Health Measures
Posted: November 24, 2020
To all HFCRD families,
As you are likely aware, today the Government of Alberta announced new targeted health measures to slow the spread of COVID-19. Division administration is reviewing the new measures and creating a plan to ensure all HFCRD schools follow the new requirements. We understand that many of you have questions. Our division is committed to meeting the requirements from the Government of Alberta, and we thank you for your patience as we navigate these new requirements. Below is some preliminary information for families, and we will release more information as soon as possible.
Grades 7 to 12:
- All junior and senior high classes will be delivered online/at-home starting Monday November 30th to Friday January 8th. There is no school during Christmas break (Saturday December 19 to Sunday January 3). Students will continue online/at-home learning from Monday January 4th to Friday January 8th. The method of delivery for online/at-home learning will be at the discretion of each teacher.
Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 6:
- All pre-kindergarten to grade 6 classes will continue in person at school from now until Christmas break (Saturday December 19 to Sunday January 3). These students will be provided online/at-home learning from Monday January 4th to Friday January 8th. Online/At-home learning for elementary during that week will focus on numeracy and literacy, and will not be as robust as in person learning. The method of delivery for online/at-home learning will be at the discretion of each teacher.
We would like to share the following key points:
- Diploma exams are now optional for the remainder of the 2020/21 school year,
- We will continue to follow the school calendar,
- Devices will be loaned to families who need technology for online/at-home learning, and
- No funding cuts have been made, and no staffing changes will be made at this time.
We ask our community members to do all you can to stop the spread of COVID-19. Please stay home if you are sick, please isolate when you are required to, please physically distance, and please wear a mask.
Thank you to families and staff for sharing test results with us as quickly as possible. Your cooperation has been essential to ensuring all close contacts are notified, begin isolating and get tested in a timely manner.
Please continue to monitor for any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 using the Alberta Health Screening Questionnaire. Please remember to complete the checklist each day prior to attending school. If you or a member of your family has any of the symptoms of illness listed, please fill out the online Alberta Health Services COVID-19 self-assessment or call Health Link at 811.
Thank you for your grace, compassion, and patience as we continue our way forward through the 2020/21 school year. We pray for the health and safety of all during these uncertain times.
Kelly Whalen, Board Chair & Betty Turpin, Superintendent